What is a Growth Policy?
A Growth Policy is a document that guides how a city makes decisions. It first addresses the existing conditions of many different topics such as land use, transportation, and housing. Then using public engagement and staff insights the Growth Policy creates goals and strategies to implement a shared vision for the City. This document will ultimately help identify how Lewistown can be improved while preserving what makes it special.
It has been 17 years since Lewistown last updated its Growth Policy. Updating the plan based on the new needs of Lewistown is essential in improving the community.
The key to a successful Growth Policy is thoughtful community feedback. Because of this, we will be holding various engagement opportunities both on-line and in-person. All residents are welcomed and encouraged to participate in shaping the future of Lewistown.
We’re happy to announce we’ll be attending the annual Lewistown Chokecherry Festival on September 9th! Come stop by our booth to learn about the project, take our community survey, and enter for a chance to win a special prize. City staff and consultants will be available to answer any and all questions regarding the new Growth Policy and the future of Lewistown.
We’ve officially released our community surveys for the Lewistown Growth Policy Update. One survey is designed for ages 18 and under and the other is for ages 19 and up. Please scan the QR code based on your corresponding age group and answer the questions honestly and to the best of your ability. This feedback will directly inform the goals and priorities for the City of Lewistown for years to come. The survey is also completely anonymous and takes under 5 minutes to complete!
18 and under: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JXMKKXF
- Chokecherry Festival - 9/9/23
- Phase I: Review of Existing Growth Policy (Jul-Aug 2023) Existing conditions, vision and purpose statements, goals, objectives and policies, and the implementation strategy will all be reviewed in this phase. This will help identify what is still relevant and what has changed since the 2006 Growth Policy.
- Phase II: Current Characteristics, Projected Trends, Mapping (Sept-Oct 2023) This provides the foundation for technical analysis of Lewistown. Examining demographic, economic, and geographic data will begin to shape the opportunities and constraints within the City.
- Phase III: Draft Growth Policy (Nov-Dec 2023) Informed by the prior phases, a draft document will be written and include community feedback, recommendations, and implementation strategies.
- Phase IV: Review and Adoption (Jan-Mar 2024) In this final phase the draft will be revised in partnership with stakeholders and public officials. The end result would be a fully adopted and legally binding Growth Policy that will guide development for years to come.